What to Look for in a Non-Emergency Transport Service for Elders

Traveling is a serious issue for the disabled and the elderly. Since they cannot travel via regular modes of transport, they prefer staying locked up at home. My mother, being 73 years old and partially bedridden, had similar problems. We often found it difficult to get transport for even a doctor's appointment, let alone recreation. Since she is reliant on the wheelchair, we had to transfer her to my car seat, which often caused her injury and pain. Once her back was bruised, I thought it was high time I found a solution and hence started to look for appropriate transportation for senior.

A friend suggested NEMT services and explained how they could be a boon for people like my mother. So I did my research and finally found the best wheelchair transportation near me.

The struggle to find the best service was tough but don't worry. I intend to make that part easy for you. Here is a list of services you should look for in your NEMT service.

What Makes a Non-Emergency Medical Transportation Service Worth Your Money

Door to Door/ Door through Door Service

Door-to-door service refers to the arrangement wherein the patient is picked up from the door and dropped at the door. A door-through-door service is especially for bedridden patients who need to be carried out of the house and back into the house. You can opt for either, depending on your patient's medical condition.

Wheelchair Service

Wheelchair service is made available by all NEMT services, but you must enquire about what services they offer and the condition of their chairs. Also, make sure that you know all the differences between a transport chair vs. wheelchair as it will help you determine which one will be better for your patient, and you can ask for that particular option for transportation.

Offering wheelchair service is not enough. A decent NEMT service will also engage trained caretakers to handle the transfer to avoid mishaps and injuries.  

Stretcher Patient Service

If your patient is bedridden, look for stretcher patient service. They make sure your patient is easily transferred from bed to the stretcher, and you can take them safely for regular checkups.

Trained and Kind Staff

NEMT services assign caretakers for patients to look after them and handle emergencies in case any occur on the way to their destination. They should be trained in CPR and first aid. The company should also hire its drivers only after appropriate background checks and drug tests to ensure the safety of patients. Kind and compassionate behavior will make your patient feel at home and safe with the staff. Since you cannot accompany them everywhere, the staff needs to make them feel secure.

All-Day Service

My mother undergoes dialysis thrice a week, and thus it is impossible for me to stay with her throughout, at the hospital. My NEMT service offers an all-day service where they not only pick up and drop off my mother but also stay the whole time. They accompany her to the hospital, wait for her to get over with the dialysis, and drop her home safely. I get regular updates and can double-check anytime I want. This sure has lessened a lot of my worries and burdens. 

Similar Link: Identify Early Signs of Alzheimer's Disease for a More Effective Treatment  

We always want to give our loved ones a comfortable life, and if your parents are aged or disabled, a decent NEMT service is all they need. I was ignorant about its services for a long time, and I thank God for such a service. Otherwise, I shudder to think how I would have managed everything.

Comments